Get Your Washington Title Bond Today!

Rates & Requirements for Washington Title Bonds:

  • No Credit Check required for amounts up to $30,000.
  • Minimum Premium: $100
  • Rate: 1.5%
  • Instant Issue: Up to $30,000
  • Amount Required: 1.5X The value of the vehicle as determined by the local DMV

If you do not have proof of ownership (a title) for your boat, motor vehicle, motorhome, mobile home, motorcycle or other titled property, you can provide the State of Washington with a Certificate of Title Bond in order to replace your lost, stolen, damaged or defective title. You will be able to register your vehicle with this new title.

Don’t overpay, apply today and get your title bond in 3 simple steps. Have questions? Contact us and talk to a title bond expert today.

Common Questions

What is a Washington vehicle ownership bond?

Revised Code of Washington Section 46.12.680 requires a surety bond to be filed by individuals unable to provide vehicle ownership evidence for registration. In Washington these bonds are officially called a “Vehicle Ownership Bond,” but they’re more commonly known as a ” certificate of title surety bond,” ” lost title bond,” or ” bonded title.”

This bond protects previous owners, lien holders, and future owners against expenses, losses, or damages resulting from the new bonded car title issuance. A claim can be filed against the bond if the original title is found. The surety company will pay valid claims up to the full bond amount, which the bonded vehicle owner would then be required to reimburse.

How much does a Washington title bond cost?

Washington certificate of title bond costs start at $100. The exact cost will vary depending on the surety bond amount required by the Washington State Department of Licensing.

  • Bond amounts up to $10,000 cost $100.
  • Bond amounts from $10,001 to $50,000 cost $15 for every $1,000 of coverage, starting at $100.
  • Bond amounts for more than $50,000 must be reviewed by an underwriter for pricing, starting at $750.

The Washington Lost Title Bond costs either $100 or 1.5% of the bond amount, whichever is greater (rates may vary for bonds greater than $25,000).

How do you get a Washington vehicle ownership bond?

You can purchase Washington title bonds online 24/7. The following information must be provided for Department of Licensing approval.

  • name
  • address
  • vehicle identification number (VIN), if applicable
  • motorcycle motor number, if applicable
  • vehicle year, make, and model

Once your payment is processed, your official bond documents will be delivered to your email instantly.

What is the Purpose of the Washington Lost Title Bond?

Washington requires residents to purchase a surety bond as part of the application process to obtain a bonded title. The bond ensures that the rightful vehicle owner will not suffer a financial loss if the title applicant is seeking to obtain the title fraudulently. If the title applicant is engaging in fraud, then the rightful vehicle owner can file a claim against the bond and receive compensation up to the full amount of the bond. In short, the bond acts as a safeguard against people attempting to obtain ownership of a vehicle through unethical means.

Who is Required to Purchase a Bond?

The Washington Department of Licensing requires title applicants to purchase a surety bond if the applicant cannot present the department with tangible proof that they own the vehicle and are unable to contact the vehicle’s previous owner. Lost title bonds are typically required for the following reasons:

  • The vehicle has never been titled
  • The applicant never received the title
  • The previous owner never titled the vehicle
  • The applicant has the title but there is an error in the title transfer
  • The applicant purchased an unclaimed/abandoned vehicle and is not a bonded agent

Who registers vehicles with missing titles in Washington?

The Washington Department of Licensing enforces vehicle registration requirements for individuals with lost or stolen vehicle titles. Your original Washington lost title bond must be attached to your title application and be filed within 6 months of issuance.

A Washington vehicle title bond is required if you have insufficient ownership documentation. If plan to sell vehicles, a separate Washington motor vehicle dealer bond is required.

How do I determine my bond amount?

Washington statute 46.12.680 dictates that the bond amount must be equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value. To determine the vehicle’s value, the applicant may utilize any of the following options:

  • The Department of Licensing’s automated value system
  • A published appraisal guide such as the KBB or NADA
  • An appraisal from a licensed auto dealer or appraisal company (must be on the company’s letterhead)

Is a Credit Check Required for the Washington Lost Title Bond?

We do not conduct a credit check for bonds that are less than $25,000. At limits over $25,000, we will review your standing to determine the qualification and rates for the bond.

How do I update or change my title surety bond form?

If the Washington Department of Licensing requires your vehicle title bond documentation to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider.
The most common changes for these bonds include:

  • name
  • address
  • vehicle information

Do Washington bonded titles expire?

A Washington vehicle ownership bond expires at the end of its 3-year term and does not renew. The Department of Licensing will return the bond after it expires if the vehicle is no longer registered in the state and a valid certificate of ownership has been provided.

How do I Apply for a Bonded Title in Washington?

To apply for a bonded title, complete the following steps:

  1. Contact the DOL
    Bonded title applicants in Washington should contact their local DOL office prior to purchasing a surety bond. Washington does not require all title applicants to obtain a bonded title, and usually only does so as an absolute last resort. Title applicants should ensure that they actually need a bond before purchasing one.
  2. Purchase a Surety Bond
    Once the DOL determines the applicant needs a bonded title, the applicant must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.
  3. Complete the Title Application
    Bonded title applicants must complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest form and deliver it to their local DOL office. Bonded title applicants must pay the following fees when submitting their title application:

    • $35.50 for vehicle and trailer titles
    • $26.75 for boat titles

How Do Washington Bonded Title Applicants File Their Bond?

In Washington, bonded title applicants should submit the completed bond form, including the power of attorney, to their local DOL office. The Washington Lost Title Surety Bond requires signatures from both the surety company that issues the bond and the bonded title applicant. The surety company should include the following information on the bond form:

  • The legal name and address entity/individual(s) buying the bond
  • Surety company’s name and address
  • Bond amount
  • Vehicle information
  • Date the bond is signed
  • Date the bond goes into effect

What Are the Insurance Requirements for Bonded Title Applicants in Washington?

Washington requires all motor vehicle owners to purchase auto insurance with the following minimum limits:

  • $25,000 per person
  • $50,000 per accident
  • $10,000 property damage per accident

Bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

How Can Washington Residents Avoid Claims Against Their Lost Title Bond?

To avoid claims against their bond, bonded title applicants in Washington must ensure that they are the rightful owners of the motor vehicle.