Get Your Nebraska Title Bond Today!

Rates & Requirements for Nebraska Title Bonds:

  • No Credit Check required for amounts up to $30,000.
  • Minimum Premium: $100
  • Rate: 1.5%
  • Instant Issue: Up to $30,000
  • Amount Required: 1.5X Current value as shown by the property tax valuation or NADA

If you do not have proof of ownership (a title) for your boat, motor vehicle, motorhome, mobile home, motorcycle or other titled property, you can provide the State of Nebraska with a Certificate of Title Bond in order to replace your lost, stolen, damaged or defective title. You will be able to register your vehicle with this new title.

Don’t overpay, apply today and get your title bond in 3 simple steps. Have questions? Contact us and talk to a title bond expert today.

Common Questions

What is the Nebraska certificate title bond?

Nebraska Revised Statute 60-167 requires individuals without official vehicle ownership titles to file a surety bond for registration. Nebraska residents can also file a bond with the state if a title hasn’t previously been issued for their vehicle or if it currently has a bonded title in another state. The DMV does not require bonded titles for ATVs, UTVs, or minibikes unless a title was previously issued by the state.

The Nebraska legislature enacted the bonding requirement to ensure that the rightful vehicle owner will receive compensation if the title applicant does not actually own the vehicle. The bond will be active for three years from the date of issuance and must be in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

What is the cost of a Nebraska certificate of title bond?

Nebraska certificate of title bond costs start at $100 for the state-required 3-year term. Exact costs vary depending on the surety bond amount required by the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles.

  • Bond amounts up to $6,000 cost $100.
  • Bond amounts from $6,001 to $50,000 cost $15 per $1,000 of coverage, starting at $100.
  • Bond amounts more than $50,000 must be reviewed by an underwriter for pricing, starting at $750.

The Nebraska Lost Title Bond costs either $100 or 1.5% of the bond amount, whichever is greater (rates may vary for bonds greater than $25,000).

How do you get a Nebraska certificate of title bond?

You can purchase your Nebraska title bond online 24/7. You must provide the following information for the Department of Motor Vehicles filing approval.

  • vehicle owner’s name
  • address
  • county
  • vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • vehicle year, make, model, and body type

Once your payment has been processed, you’ll receive your official vehicle title surety bond by email instantly.

Why do you need a Nebraska certificate of title bond?

The lost title bond protects any prior owner, prior lienholder, or any subsequent purchaser of the vehicle from expenses, losses, or damages resulting from certificate of title issuance. If the original title is found and a valid claim is made against the bond, the surety company will pay damages up to the full bond amount, which the bonded vehicle owner must then reimburse.

This bond is required to register a vehicle without an original title. If you plan to sell vehicles, a separate Nebraska motor vehicle dealer bond is required.

Who is Required to Purchase a Bond?

The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles requires title applicants to purchase a surety bond if the applicant cannot present the department with tangible proof that they own the vehicle and if the department does not have an ownership record of the vehicle. Lost title bonds in Nebraska are required for the following reasons:

  • A title has not been previously issued in Nebraska or any other state
  • The title applicant can’t provide the department with a properly assigned certificate of title or a manufacturer’s statement of origin
  • The vehicle currently has a bonded title in another state
  • ATVs, UTVs, and minibikes are ineligible for bonded titles unless a Nebraska title has been previously issued.

Who registers vehicles with missing titles?

The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles enforces registration requirements for vehicles missing titles. If you have questions about registering your vehicle or submitting a bonded title application, call 1 (402) 471-3918 or email

How do I determine my bond amount?

Nebraska law requires your surety bond amount to be 1.5 times the current vehicle value as outlined on its property tax or NADA valuation. If you need help determining your exact required surety bond amount, contact the DMV before purchasing your defective title bond.

Is a Credit Check Required for the Nebraska Lost Title Bond?

We do not conduct a credit check for bonds that are less than $25,000. For bonds over $25,000, we have Bad Credit bonding programs that we can get your bond approved and issued with the same fast and easy service.

How do I update or change my title bond form?

If the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles requires your defective title bond documentation to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider.
The most common changes for these bonds include:

  • vehicle owner’s name
  • address
  • county
  • vehicle information

Do Nebraska bonded titles expire?

Yes, your lost title bond will expire 3 years from its effective date and won’t need to be renewed. After 3 years you can request the notice of bonded title be removed and a new title be issued by submitting an Application for Release of Notice on Bonded Title to the DMV or an Application for Certificate of Title to your county treasurer’s office.

How do I apply for a bonded title in Nebraska?

To apply for a bonded title, complete the following steps:

  1. Determine if a Bond is Required
    Nebraska does not require all title applicants to obtain a bonded title, and usually only does so as an absolute last resort. Title applicants must complete several steps to determine whether or not they need a bond, including:

    • Request a record search through the DMV to determine if a Nebraska title exists. If the vehicle was purchased in another state then the applicant must request a search through the state’s DMV or equivalent agency.
    • If the search finds a certified title or lien on the vehicle, the title applicant must send a certified letter to the owner or lienholder to assign ownership to the applicant. If not titled owner or lienholder can be found, the title applicant must send the individual/entity who sold them the vehicle a certified letter requesting a properly assigned title.
    • If the title applicant does not receive a response from the owner, lienholder, or seller within 30 days, the applicant may apply for a bonded title
  2. Purchase a Surety Bond
    After determining that they need a bond, bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.
  3. Have the Vehicle Inspected
    All bonded title applicants must have their vehicle inspected by their local sheriff’s office. If the vehicle needs a VIN plate, the applicant must submit an Assigned ID Number application, the inspection report obtained from the applicant’s local sheriff, and a $20 fee to the Driver and Vehicle Records Division.
  4. Complete the Application
    All Nebraska bonded title applications should be submitted to the applicant’s local DMV office. The following documents must be submitted with the application:

    • All certified letters sent to the vehicle’s owner, lienholder, or seller
    • Documentation received when the vehicle was purchased, such as a bill of sale or canceled check
    • The application may submit a detailed affidavit if they have no written documentation
    • Photograph showing the front and one side of the vehicle
    • An affidavit attesting to the fact that the VIN plate was properly affixed (if applicable, see Step 3)
    • Inspection certificate from the applicant’s local sheriff
    • Bonded title applicants must pay a $50 fee when submitting their application.

How Do Nebraska Bonded Title Applicants File Their Bond?

In Nebraska, bonded title applicants should submit the completed bond form, including the power of attorney, via email to The Nebraska Lost Title Surety Bond requires signatures from both the surety company that issues the bond and the bonded title applicant. The surety company should include the following information on the bond form:

  • The legal name and address entity/individual(s) buying the bond
  • Surety company’s name and state of incorporation
  • Bond amount
  • Vehicle information
  • Date the bond is signed

You must file all bonded title application documents with the DMV within 30 days of surety bond issuance.

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Driver and Vehicle Records Division
301 Centennial Mall South
P.O. Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509-4789

What Are the Insurance Requirements for Bonded Title Applicants in Nebraska?

Nebraska requires all motor vehicle owners to purchase auto insurance with the following minimum limits:

  • $25,000 per person
  • $50,000 per accident
  • $25,000 property damage per accident

Bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

How Can Nebraska Residents Avoid Claims Against Their Lost Title Bond?

To avoid claims against their bond, bonded title applicants in Nebraska must ensure that they are the rightful owners of the motor vehicle.