Get Your Montana Title Bond Today!

Rates & Requirements for Montana Title Bonds:

  • No Credit Check required for amounts up to $30,000
  • Minimum Premium: $100
  • Rate: 1.5%
  • Instant Issue: Up to $30,000
  • Amount Required: 

If you do not have proof of ownership (a title) for your boat, motor vehicle, motorhome, mobile home, motorcycle or other titled property, you can provide the State of Montana with a Certificate of Title Bond in order to replace your lost, stolen, damaged or defective title. You will be able to register your vehicle with this new title.

Don’t overpay, apply today and get your title bond in 3 simple steps. Have questions? Contact us and talk to a title bond expert today.

Common Questions

What is a Montana certificate of title bond?

Montana Code Annotated 61-3-208 requires individuals to file a vehicle ownership bond if they do not have a certificate of title to prove they own a motor vehicle, trailer, pole trailer, camper, motorboat, personal watercraft, sailboat, or snowmobile they’re trying to register. Montana title bonds protect previous owners, lien holders, and future vehicle owners from expenses, losses, or damages resulting from certificate of title issuance.

If the original vehicle title is found, the harmed party can file a claim against the bond. The surety company will pay valid claims up to the full bond amount, which the bonded vehicle owner would be required to reimburse.

How much does a certificate of title bond cost in Montana?

Montana certificate of title bond costs start at $100. The exact cost will vary depending on the surety bond amount required by the Montana Vehicle Services Bureau.

  • Bond amounts up to $6,000 cost just $100.
  • Bond amounts from $6,001 to $50,000 cost $15 for every $1,000 of coverage, starting at $100.
  • Bond amounts for more than $50,000 must be reviewed by an underwriter for pricing, starting at $750.

The Montana Lost Title Bond costs either $100 or 1.5% of the bond amount, whichever is greater (rates may vary for bonds greater than $25,000).

Where can you get a Montana certificate of title bond?

You can purchase Montana title bonds online 24/7. Simply provide your name and the vehicle identification number (VIN) for Vehicle Services Bureau approval. Once your payment is processed, your official bond documents will be delivered to your email instantly.

What is the Purpose of the Montana Lost Title Bond?

Montana requires residents to purchase a surety bond as part of the application process to obtain a bonded title. The bond ensures that the rightful vehicle owner will not suffer a financial loss if the title applicant is seeking to obtain the title fraudulently. If the title applicant is engaging in fraud, then the rightful vehicle owner can file a claim against the bond and receive compensation up to the full amount of the bond. In short, the bond acts as a safeguard against people attempting to obtain ownership of a vehicle through unethical means.

Who registers vehicles with missing titles?

The Montana Department of Justice Vehicle Services Bureau enforces replacement title registration requirements. The VSB manages all forms associated with vehicle ownership registration, including the vehicle ownership surety bond form.

Who needs a Montana bonded title?

If you do not have a certificate of title to prove you own your motor vehicle, trailer, pole trailer, camper, motorboat, personal watercraft, sailboat, or snowmobile valued at more than $500, Montana state law requires you to file a surety bond as part of the vehicle registration process. Your title surety bond must be filed within 30 days.

Vehicles with open liens are not eligible for a bonded title.

Montana title bonds are required for vehicle registration. If you plan to sell vehicles, a separate Montana motor vehicle dealer bond is required.

Typically, lost title bonds are required for the following reasons:

  • The vehicle has never been titled
  • The applicant never received the title
  • The previous owner never titled the vehicle
  • The applicant has the title but there is an error in the title transfer
  • The applicant purchased an unclaimed/abandoned vehicle and is not a bonded agent
  • Vehicle’s worth $500 or less are exempt from all bonding requirements.

How do I determine my bond amount?

Montana statute 61-3-208 dictates that the bond amount must be equal to the vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer. To determine the vehicle’s value, title applicants must use the National Automobile Dealers Association’s (NADA) appraisal guide. The appraisal must be conducted as of January 1 for the year the title application is submitted. If the vehicle’s value cannot be calculated through NADA, title applicants can complete a Statement of Fact form to determine the bond amount. If you need help determining your required bond amount, contact the Vehicle Services Bureau before purchasing your bond.

Is a Credit Check Required for the Montana Lost Title Bond?

We do not conduct a credit check for bonds that are less than $25,000. At limits over $25,000, we will review your standing to determine the qualification and rates for the bond.

How do I update or change my bond form?

If the Montana Vehicle Services Bureau requires your surety bond documentation to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider.

The most common changes for these bonds include the owner’s name or the vehicle identification number (VIN).

Do I need to renew my vehicle title bond?

Montana lost title bonds do not renew after their initial 3-year term. Your bond will be returned 3 years from the certificate of title issuance date or before if the valid certificate of title is provided to the department.

How do I get a bonded title in Montana?

To apply for a bonded title, complete the following steps:

  1. Consult the Department of Justice
    Bonded title applicants in Montana should consult the Department of Justice prior to purchasing a surety bond. Montana does not require all title applicants to obtain a bonded title, and usually only does so as an absolute last resort. Title applicants should ensure that they actually need a bond before purchasing one.
  2. Purchase a Surety Bond
    After receiving confirmation from the DOJ, bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to the vehicle’s value.
  3. Have the Vehicle Inspected
    Bonded title applicants must have their vehicle inspected by a Montana law enforcement officer. The officer must fill out this form for the applicant to be eligible for a bonded title.
  4. Complete the Application
    If the bonded title applicant is applying for license plates they should submit their application to the vehicle services bureau. If no license plates are being applied for, the application should be submitted to the applicant’s county treasurer’s office. The following items must be submitted with the application:

    • Proof of ownership
    • Notarized bill of sale
    • Canceled check
    • Purchase invoice
    • Vehicle Identification Number Inspection certificate

If the Vehicle Services Bureau approves your application as submitted, they will issue a bonded title for your vehicle.

How Do Montana Bonded Title Applicants File Their Bond?

In Montana, bonded title applicants should submit the completed bond form, including the power of attorney, to the vehicle services bureau, but only if they are also applying for license plates. If no license plates are being applied for, the bond should be submitted to the applicant’s county treasurer’s office. The Montana Lost Title Surety Bond requires signatures from both the surety company that issues the bond and the bonded title applicant. The surety company should include the following information on the bond form:

  • The legal name and address entity/individual(s) buying the bond
  • Surety company’s name
  • Bond amount
  • Vehicle information
  • Date the bond goes into effect

What Are the Insurance Requirements for Bonded Title Applicants in Montana?

Montana requires all motor vehicle owners to purchase auto insurance with the following minimum limits:

  • $25,000 per person
  • $50,000 per accident
  • $20,000 property damage per accident

Bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to the vehicle’s value.

How Can Montana Residents Avoid Claims Against Their Lost Title Bond?

To avoid claims against their bond, bonded title applicants in Montana must ensure that they are the rightful owners of the motor vehicle.